Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Allure of Art Nouveau

Andy and I have been watching a BBC show called the Sex & Sensibility: the allure of Art Nouveau. While I found their emPHAsis on the erotic a bit off-putting, and the gentleman-scholar schtick of the narrator who would insist on mispronouncing Egon Schiele as ee-gon & completely ignoring the umlaut on Wierner Werkstatte, among other annoyances, the pictures were beautiful & I learned about lots of things I hadn't been aware of before, like the Anderson Collection, the The Watts Cemetery Chapel (which has many more pictures here), and the Horta Museum (which remains closed, apparently due to a dispute among his heirs - so many more pix here). I'm also very excited about the imminent arrival of the catalog for The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde 1860-1900, a show that, unfortunately, is only at the Legion of Honor museum in the U.S. Other stops include the V&A in London & the Musee D'Orsay in Paris (at least I think that's the same show). I'm adding this to my collection of catalogs of shows that focus on late 19th-early 20th century modernism. Recent entries include Intermezzo from the Musee der Art Moderne in Salzburg (sorry, can't find anything on their site), and Klimt & Hoffmann: Pioneers of Modernism from the Belvedere museum in Vienna. So my photos today are from 6.Sept.2012 & are comprised of neighborhood shots incluiding some stairs to nowhere & a couple o' cats. Off now to tootle, laundry, toddle, & stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells