Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shared love





I thought I'd jump the photo queue and post some pictures from yesterday, the day after our almost-blizzard (apparently we didn't have strong enough sustained winds to qualify for an actual, factual blizzard according to some arbitrary meteorological definition.

I also wanted to share a wonderful "On being" program that included an interview with the late gospel singer Joe Carter. My favorite part if the interview: ""Mr. Carter: You know, I think what we're talking about [is] human suffering and how do we survive when the worst happens? What are the mechanisms? And I think that African-Americans have shown the world, and other peoples have done it, too. Other peoples are doing it all the time, and it's the same process. It doesn't matter who the people are. It doesn't matter whether the song is an actual song of notes and music or whether it's the spirit of a people expressed in some other way, but you'll find, for example, when I sing these songs, I can sing "Motherless Child" in Siberia; they know what it means. They've been through hell. I can go to Scotland and Ireland and Wales and sing these. They understand the sentiment.

Here is the full transcript and the link to mp3 files of the songs (that they encourage you to download & share).

My favorite lyric that he sang was "When I come to the end of this road
And I lay down this old heavy load,
Let the love that I've shared speak for me."

Thank you for being in my life and for the love that you've shared with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells