Sunday, October 11, 2020

Queer MoMA

With many thanks to Mary Nemetz, who alerted me to the fact that National Coming Out day is today,* I offer these screenshots that I think are from an exploration of queer images in the MoMA collection led by Andrew Lear. I didn't get a screenshot of the opening slide, and can't get to the Oscar Wilde tours website to check for some reason today. Andrew Lear covers artists Marsden Hartley, Keith Haring, Paul Cadmus, and others, and points out how many of the images in their works are drawn from/influenced by things they saw every day and/or were significant symbols of people they loved (cf the military imagery in Marsley's Painting no. 5, and the military medals of a man he loved).








































* Don't know why the date of the second march is commemorated. I was at that march, and the first march on Washington on Oct. 14, 1979, held shortly after Harvey Milk was assassinated. Can't remember how we got from Stony Brook to there. I remember I broke away from the crowd on the Mall to make my way to the East Building of the National Gallery, which had only recently opened and marveled at the amazing point the building came to on one of its sides. Can't remember if I went in or if it was closed due to the march. What I remember most from the 2nd one is the AIDS quilt. It was its first display.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells