Sunday, March 8, 2015

I feel therefore I am

On Being's interview this week is with Eve Ensler. There were some many wonderful moments; I'll just quote a few of them here and hope you'll have time to listen to the show or to read the transcript.

"Descartes has so much to answer for. This idea, I think therefore I am, which sounds like a piece of philosophy, but our Western culture is so built around this way overly cerebral disembodied way that we've created all of our institutions and we're so impoverished. We're so much smaller for it."

"I feel therefore I am. I feel therefore I can feel my existence. I feel my body. I feel the breath. I feel the living, breathing fiber that is humanness . . . As if the brain could somehow separate you from your subjective self has created a level of dissociation on the planet. You can get yourself into some mindset which keeps you from opening your heart."

"What if our lives were precious only up to a point? What if we held them loosely and understood that there were no guarantees? So that when you got sick, you weren't a stage, but in a process. And cancer, just like having your heart broken or getting a new job or going to school or a teacher? What if rather than being cast out and defined by some terminal category you were identified as someone in the middle of a transformation that could deepen your soul, open your heart and all the while even if and particularly when you were dying, you would be supported by and be part of a community? And what if each of these things were what we are waiting for?”

And before it all goes away, I wanted to include a shot of the car and its snow box, much diminished from its heyday, but still impressive. And the almost-obligatory cat pix.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells