Thursday, March 22, 2018

Vienna 2018-03-03 Secession building & MAK

I made my way to the Secession bldg. Sat. morning. Just like the Vienna Phil being in FL the week I was in Vienna, the major draw of the Secession, the building and Klimt's Beethoven Frieze were under renovation. That meant the building itself was clad in scaffolding and only contemporary art was on display. I assuaged my disappointment by buying some post cards.

I then made my way to the MAK (a.k.a. the Museum for Applied Arts or Museum für Angewandte Kunst), an amazing collection of applied arts, design, architecture, esp., from the Secession & Wienerwerkstätte folks and of contemporary art. It's their 150th year so in addition to my ticket I got a booklet about the museum, and a very friendly coat check lady ooohed & aahd over my sweater, calling it "true art." :)

Sadly, their amazing collection is displayed like a Kunstkammer, with so many items/glass case & dimly-lit galleries that it was difficult to get good photos of the stuff. I did my best and here are the photos & a video of the pre-lunch part of my excursion.

Secession building door decoration.

Got there early so the doors were still closed.


The main hall of the MAK had this artwork on the floor.

From the contemporary art galleries






Elevator shfat

Remind you of Schiele's trees?






See what I mean about dim?

This is the original version of the poster for the
first Secession exhibition that got Klimt into trouble.
They made him plant a tree in front of the jiggly
bits for the public release of the poster.













No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells