Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Vienna 2018-03-01 Musikverein evening concert

Some shots today from the amazing concert at the Musikverein, Vienna's main concert hall. The orchestra was not the Vienna Phil as I thought when I ordered the ticket, but the Vienna Symphony, a.k.a. Wiener Symphoniker, which Jan's friend, Carlo, told me the thought was just as good when he and I met for a quick tour of the Kunst Historisches Museum the day before.

The men were wearing tails, not only tuxes, and the orchestra took the A from the concertmaster, not the oboe. Not a Brahms fan, I have never heard Brahms played like they did with his 2nd symphony on the 2nd half of the concert. The 2nd movement moved me to tears it was so beautiful. Not clear from the Wikipedia article whether the symphony was premiered in the Musikverein, but I'll bet it was. Those Viennese have Brahms in their blood.

They started with a transcription of Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte (a little slow in my opinion), and Lalo's Symphonie espagnole (who knew there were 5 movements? I joined the audience applauding after the 3rd mvt., much to my chagrin).

View from my seat



The ceiling

Fuzzy picture as I tried to get the flutists

Standing room "seats" behind the orchestra



No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells