Thursday, January 14, 2010

Coral belle

Another lovely Ashmont Hill abode. Sorry for all the power lines.

Heading up to Carlisle, MA, about an hour's drive away to have my piccolo worked on. (Why does that sound vaguely off-color?)

Another lovely Ashmont Hill abode. (You can click on the image for a larger version, in case you don't know). Heading up to Carlisle, MA, about an hour's drive away to have my piccolo worked on. (Why does that sound vaguely off-color?) 24F today (with a "feels like" of 24, too - woo hoo, I'd better play the lottery) heading up to 35F so they say. Bye bye snow.

I was reading Jeanette Winterson's review of Joan Shenkar's recent bio of Patricia Highsmith (she of The Talented Mr. Ripley, etc. fame). And happened upon a brilliant passage: "[A]rt is always about relationship -- to the material, to the self, and to the world in all its chaos and intrusion, its terror and its glory." What a wonderful idea - whether looking at a painting, sculpture, or listening to a piece of music. And isn't it also true of life? Where would I be without my relationship to you? I shudder to think how lonely. As difficult as relationships can sometimes be, we all would be lost without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells