Thursday, November 19, 2009

Is symmetry beauty?


I was watching the tail end of a PBS show Closer to Truth that's on btwn. 7 & 8 AM here. (though I've yet to find where they hide the transcripts). They were talking about science & the arts & the narrator stated as fact two things that I immediately said "Really?" The first was that symmetry is part of beauty - and since I tend to find it boring, I immediately wondered at that one. The other comment: that Nature is beautiful, which I found a bit sappy (and not in the tree way). The Nature is beautiful comment had as its backdrop a lovely forested area in front of which the narrator was standing. I immediately thought of a jaguar bring down a gazelle & wondered how that was beautiful, or as I said to my friend, Pam, as we walked through a butterfly garden and watched a bird attack a butterfly, "Mother Nature: the downside."

Heading off to my walk soon & then to Cambridge for my bi-monthly grocery shopping @ Whole Foods & Trader Joe's. Andy said it was "too soon" to think of getting stuff 4 Thanksgiving (I think we're having a vegetarian one). Fine, as long as he doesn't expect me to go out the day before & battle the last-minute crowds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells