Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interesting ornament

Here's an interesting ornament - or I imagine there must be some specific name for a thingie above a door but I don't know it - on the upper East side of NYC heading toward the Met Museum. They do have fancy, schmancy buildings up there.

Orchestra rehearsal last night went OK - except the conductor threw in an unannounced run-through of the Dvorak at the last minute. I wasn't expecting to have to play that expletive deleted first movement F arpeggio that he's taking faster than any professional orchestra I've heard play it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz31dlMJjjw I think he was nervous because he things we don't have enough rehearsals btwn now & the Mar. 1 concert so he wanted to see what shape the whole symphony was in. Over all, not a bad work - I think I agree with David, the first clarinetist, that the last movement is the weakest - lots of bombast & little else. The slow movement is lovely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJeLPqwpXs&feature=related (we don't take it nearly at this funeral tempo - it's marked andante for Pete's sake.

A student coming for a lesson tonight, but otherwise the day is mine to do with as I please. It'll be a bit chilly for a toddle, with a high forecast of only 32F, but the wind's supposedly died down so maybe my lips won't get so chapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells