Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sometimes the most beautiful things aren't man made

Here are a couple shots of the windows in the Lehmann gallery @ the Met Museum. The Carter Flute Concerto yesterday was a fabulous piece, and Elizabeth Rowe did an incredible job with the flute part. I'd like to hear her more - one thought was that she has an incredible control of the instrument but I didn't get a sense of a strong personality - though it could have been the piece. The Brahms 4 was also worth the price of admission. I got to the box office shortly before it opened & struck up a conversation with the guy in front of me. I had planned to spend $29 or more for the tix (depending on what was available once I got to the window) but it turned out that they were selling rush tix for $9 (one per person & you couldn't pick the seat). So I got a row in the center section of the orchestra row B! Perfect for seeing Ms. Rowe but not the best for a blended orchestral sound. But you can't have everything - where would you put it? (Snitch is crawling all over me, making typing difficult. Maybe if I ignore her she'll go away - yup, that seems to have done it.)

Off soon to a "get to know your sewing machine" class at a yarn store down the road (Dorchester Stitch House if you must know), then off to a Polarity treatment & then tearing back here to teach the young woman who (I think, if the weather doesn't get in the way) is coming up from NYC. She took a couple lessons a few years ago as she prepared to go to England to study with Peter Lloyd & I guess she liked it - and at the end of the lesson we had last week, where we worked on a Telemann solo flute piece, she suggested she'd like to come back for work on the Sancan Sonatine, which is also on the list of pieces she needs to prepare for a competition recording she has to make on the 13th. Tomorrow is the Pappoutsakis competition final round @ 7PM, Monday the Melrose rehearsal, then Tues. Renee Fleming is giving a masterclass @ HU @ 3PM & I have a lesson to teach @ 7 that day - so a busy next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells