Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dawn

This from 13.Jan.2010.

This morning's speaking of faith's topic was "Did God create evil?" Now that's a tricky one & one that the theists in the mix had a hard time explaining. http://www.closertotruth.com/search_results.php?search=did+god+create+evil&x=0&y=0 The narrator interviewed three from the theist camp. 2 Christians & a Muslim, and one from the . . . what did they call it? pantheist? tradition, a Hindu. I wish he'd axed one of the Christians (the weakest of the whole bunch, ask me - Nancey Murphy) and included a Buddhist. Here's one interesting site I found http://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/buddhisms-practical-answer-to-the-problem-of-evil-part-1/



Here is some background on the site's author http://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/about/ I like the quotation that starts the bio page:

Life is short and we have not too much time
for gladdening the hearts of those
who are traveling the dark way with us.
Oh, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind.
~ Henri-Frederic Amiel (a Swiss philosopher, poet and critic)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri-Frédéric_Amiel

And this one from the site's main page:

As a mother would risk her life to protect her child, her only child, even so should one cultivate a limitless heart with regard to all beings. So with a boundless heart should one cherish all living beings; radiating kindness over the entire world." The Buddha, Sutta Nipata I, 8

Apparently there's a PBS program on Buddhism coming up on PBS - I'll have to catch it. http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/?gclid=CJeCi_r606ACFctY2godkXMhsw


Heading out in about an hour (I wish Andy would get up so I could get some practicing in before I go) driving up to Carlisle MA again to have the picc worked on. Later today a new Wellesley chamber music summer program is to call for her phone audition. My friend Jan Pfeiffer, who's the director of that program told me the other day that she'd just lost her teaching/coaching job @ Wellesley. "Very political" she said. She'd built up the chamber program there mostly from scratch. Don't know any of the details yet but I can imagine how devastating that must have been.

On a more positive note, it's sunny today. Due to get up to 60F - then, guess what? More rain. Not sure about going to the BSO tomorrow - 300-some seats available in the front orchestra section - program SIBELIUS Finlandia, SIBELIUS
Valse triste, LIEBERSON Songs of Love and Sorrow, for baritone and orchestra (world premiere; BSO commission) & SCHUBERT
Symphony in C, The Great. I'd like to hear the Lieberson but the rest of the program leaves me cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells