Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Doughnut puss

Here's Potter's imitation of a doughnut (though you hardly ever see it spelled that way anymore).

I just got back from mailing the shawl I made for Millie Rich to her (shh - it's a secret) in thanks for her 30 years of dedicated service to the Melrose Orchestra. I'm hoping she'll have some occasion to wear it in FL where she's settled with her new hubby (though why they moved to Florida with his health problems, I'll never know. FL medical care is crap if my parents' experience is any indication) before the really hot weather settles in there.

Then I decided to take advantage of the not-rain to toddle around the neighborhood to see what had changed since last I stopped by. I was admiring the shape of the bare (soon-to-be-budded) branches of the various trees against the cloudy sky and as I tried to identify which tree was which, I thought back to my days at the Trees for Tomorrow camp (where we learned to distinguish such things) that I attended with some fellow Menominee High chums when I was a junior there. It occurred to me that I was (perhaps) as close to death now as I was from birth then and that, the remaining years being such a shorter percentage of the total than those before my junior year were from birth, they would undoubtedly seem to pass much more quickly. We know the date of our births. We cannot know the date of the other so best we savor each moment, to hear the sound of the wind, to follow the flight of the gull, to feel the air on our skin. Living too far in the past or the future is only cause for anxiety and sorrow. As Bette Davis said in Now Voyager "Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KGiwGn1d8

No comments:

Post a Comment

The second day of Christmas

The Young People's Chorus of New York City singing the 12 days of Christmas, and Jingle Bells